Select Recent Talks
- 2019 Human Rights Protocol Considerations (hrpc) (TBA), Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Prague
- 2019 The Politics Behind Internet Routing Security and Insecurity, ACM SIGCAS (at ACM SIGCSE)
- 2018 Cryptography and Sabotage, Stevens Institute of Technology Humanities Forum
- 2018 Toward a Political Economy of Cybersecurity, UCI Informatics Department Seminar
- 2017 Cybersecurity Governance and Cybersecurity Trajectories: A Historical Analysis, Georgia Tech Internet Governance Project (IGP) Third Annual Workshop
- 2017 Social-Property Architectures: History and Theory, The Maintainers II: Labor, Technology, and Social Orders
- 2017 Social Relations and Routing Architectures, Special Interest Group for Computers, Information and Society (SIGCIS)
- 2017 The Encrypted Information Society: Rethinking Social Theory in an Age of Cryptology, Arizona State University Global Security Initiative
- 2016 The Dependence of Cyberspace, The Maintainers conference
- 2015 The Emergence of Border Router Protocols and Autonomous Systems, SHOT Special Interest Group for Computers, Information and Society (SIGCIS), Dearborn MI
- 2015 Internet Infrastructure and the Defense Information Systems Agency, Society for the History of Technology, Dearborn MI
- 2014 Metadata and Infrastructure: Sockets in the Arpanet Host-Host Protocol, Association for Information Science and Technology, with Amelia Acker
- 2014 Internet Maintenance at the Defense Information Systems Agency, Society for the History of Technology, with Andrew Russell
- 2013 Localized Data on the Early Internet: Sociohistorical Implications of ARPANET and NSFNET Traffic Patterns, Society for Social Studies of Science (4S)
Eventually I will update this section with my pedagogical strategy and course syllabi. In the meantime, I teach courses with titles like Algorithms and Protocols in Cyberspace, Internet Power and Politics, Computers and Society, Introduction to Science and Technology Studies, and Cyberspace and National Security.
I teach for the Stevens Institute of Technology’s Science and Technology Studies Program; previously I taught for UCLA Digital Humanities.
Service, Affiliations, Memberships
You can see my journal and book review history at Publons (under construction).
- 2015+ Department Editor (Think Piece), IEEE Annals of the History of Computing
- Member, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), ACM Special Interest Group on Data Communications (ACM SIGCOMM), ACM Special Interest Group on Computers and Society (ACM SIGCAS)
- Member, Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)